We all love using professional high resolution images for our PowerPoint decks – even when this is not required. It is not uncommon for a visual PowerPoint deck to be put together by business users to become 50 MB and slow to edit online.
Whenever we have a large file that is difficult to work with, we can modify the resolution of one or all images in a pptx file.
- Click on the picture which should be compressed
- Click on the Format tab in the Office ribbon (if not selected)
- Click on Compress Image and select options
- if all images should be compressed, uncheck “Apply only to this picture”
- if the presentation images won’t be moved around, check “Delete cropped areas of pictures”
- Set the resolution as appropriate – my recommendation is to use either Print or Web
Significant! My example of a single slide went from approximately 3 MB to 314 KB, specifically the new file is 11% of the original in web format.
Compressing images to a reasonable setting based on the intended use of the deck will allow for a better experience when building, sharing, and presenting the deck.